Friday, September 07, 2007

Buying Technology

Since the iPhone price drop is such big news on the tech front, and I'm so often asked,
"I'm planning to buying a [enter tech item here.] What do you recommend?"
Here is my patent response for buying almost all computers, digital cameras, media players, etc.

1) Wait as long as you can.
With the iPhone dropping 30% in price in two months as proof, there will never be the 'perfect' time to buy tech stuff, it's not an investment and will certainly reduce in price.

2) Set your price.
Because there are so many options when buying tech toys, there always seems to be more
features with just another just

3) Search for your price.
Because there are so many options when buying tech toys, there always seems to be more
features at small increments, so once you have the price you're willing to spend, stick to it. Otherwise you can keep upping the price until it's way more than you intended.

When I start searching for tech stuff, there are always the usual suspects: Amazon and EBay, but I like to start with a trip to CNET reviews to narrow it down to the exact one I want. Then a trip to www.currentcodes.com where I can see if there are any deals on the sites.

(BTW A couple of the tech sites I especially like are newegg.com and bhphotovideo.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment