Saturday, December 06, 2008

Is Your Web 2.0 Recession Proof?

While the current recession affects all parts of the economy I think it's going to really hit Web 2.0  hard. Many of the services that we've all come to rely on have been living on Angel investors and VC capital and have never found a way to make money. (I'm looking at you Sandy.)  That 'Easter egg' hunting we all do for the next cool web tool is going to get a lot harder. 

Now, I'm certain that long term this will simply be a lull and we'll press on, but has this reality influenced the tools we've selected to use? What do you do when your Web app of choice up and walks out on you? (This especially worries me with those I've pushed others to use the tech and it goes away.)  Of course to live with technology is to live with change, but if you have students work on a project for an extended amount of time and the tool they were using is discontinued, it's a hard thing to take.

 Vicki Davis and her students are going through this right now with Google's Lively. I don't think Google pulled Livelry because of money, but it's going away nontheless.  I love how the students are using this set back as a learning moment and suggesting to Google reasons and ways they could keep it going. I wish them luck and hope it works. (BTW the easiest place I've found to track the next company to go is: http://www.techcrunch.com/tag/deadpool)

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment and concern for our problem. I definitely agree with you about Google shutting down Lively for no good reason. My classmates and I all are very upset about the situation and we are trying our best to get Google to keep Lively. I am glad that you feel the same about Google shutting down Lively as we do.

    ReplyDelete